February 13, 2017 - Canejo Canyon Ward - Newbury Park Zone

#DoWork

Ello

This week has probably been the fastest week of my mission. I have no idea where the time all went! It was insane. On Saturday, I woke up thinking it was Tuesday..... Yeah. I have problems. 

Anyways, life has been pretty good out here! We saw some rain this week again, and we are supposed to be getting hit by like a 5 day storm at the end of this week. It's awesome! To answer Dad's question, my camera is doing great! I love it. Very basic, and it does the job! I would suggest either a camera like mine, or just buy him a disposable one.... Idk, just thinking about Mexico and everything. You don't want anything that will be a target for thieves! I think that was all of the questions that you guys asked though. I've been thinking a little bit at night about the next year.. Where I want to be, what I want to be doing, and I have been reading my Patriarchal Blessing, which doesn't really give me a TON of direction, school-wise. But, I think my best bet will be to do Pathways. But, I don't know where I would want to take it.. I can figure that out in May or something. But, I think that way I can do school online, and I can live with you guys or somewhere else, and I can work to raise money for school. It'd be a cheaper decision, and I would be able to finish my General Studies completely online in like a year and a half. Just a thought I have. We'll see how that goes. 

Monday. Had dinner with the Bilson's, which was fun. Then we went to the FHE with Bishop, and the Guthrie's didn't show up. We talked with Bishop for about an hour, and we came to the decision that it's time to back off Logan for a little bit, and that he shouldn't be baptized on the 18th. Just a better decision for everyone. He wasn't keeping a lot of the commitments we were giving him, and he just wasn't converted. And Bishop doesn't want just another Less-Active on the Ward List. So, that was the decision we came to. Bishop then gave us some names of people on the Ward List that he wanted us to go and see, which was a huge help! 

Tuesday. We have been wanting to do this for some time, but we took the morning to get all organized and junk and then we did some service for Anita! Helped move a bunch of things and then set up an appointment with her on Thursday! Elder Peart and I taught her the Plan of Salvation, and she got super busy, so now she wanted a church tour! Had dinner that night with the Mathews, hilarious couple. Just a blast to be around, and Brother Mathews LOVES hockey! So, we got to talk hockey a little bit. I don't get to do that too often! Then, we had our lesson with Logan. We were having companion study in the car outside of his house, planning out how we were going to drop him, and  he freaked me out and came up to our window and asked us to come and have the lesson and do it in 15 minutes....grrrr... So, we went in, and we let him know how much we love him and just explained that he wouldn't be able to get baptized on the 18th. We aren't going to be meeting with him as much, just on a 2 week basis, but we encouraged him to keep praying and reading and coming to church! By the end of it, he was tearing up. It was hard, but we knew it was best for everyone. Drop lessons are so weird. It feels like some break up or something.

Wednesday. I had the opportunity to give Elder McCurdy a blessing in the morning of comfort and counsel. I love giving blessings! This time, I really felt the love of our Heavenly Father for this Elder. He has his struggles, but it was just so neat to feel the Spirit flow out of my mouth. There comes a certain point in blessings, I've found, that you zone out, and you know that the Spirit is guiding everything you are saying. Your will aligns perfectly with God's will, and that is just incredible. I have been feeling that in my prayers lately too. Praying with the guidance of the Spirit is just so important! We went and saw a bunch of Less-Actives that day, and some people were home, but we weren't really let into a lot of houses. Had dinner that night with the Ball's, which was fun! And then had a meeting with Brother Meru, and went and visited some people with him! We ended up going and visiting this really nice inactive couple in a different ward, because we can do that. It was a neat visit, they are parents of a less-active in our ward. It was fun! 

Thursday we had District Meeting, because we had interviews with President on Friday. It was all about finding! I enjoyed it a lot. Then we did some service for a member in our ward, Dorothy Gaine. Picked up some rotten fruit off of the ground, and then picked some oranges and lemons off of her trees. It was fun, until I had rotten orange juice fall on me. Gross. Then we had our lesson with Anita, and Brother Meru also came to that! It was a really neat tour, and as we were showing her and her 9-year-old son, Diego, the baptismal font, she asked what the difference was between Catholics and Mormons. Now, this is where the benefit of being together for 17 weeks comes in for Elder Hunter and I. Next thing we know, we have taught the best Restoration lesson I think I have ever taught. We were talking about it afterwards, and there were many instances in the lesson where Elder Hunter and I were finishing eachothers thoughts, and it was scary, the Spirit we invited into the room. Anita is now a new investigator! She is really interested in learning more, and really wants to come to church as well! Then, we had dinner with the Gholdston's, and Brother Meru came AGAIN to a lesson with Kathleen! She asked us a lot of questions about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and we had such a spiritual visit with her. She is going through a lot, and she was crying by the end of it. A lot of love in that room! 

Friday we set up for interviews, and then had our interviews at 2. It was fun. This time around, Sister Felix had us do a personality test, and then we scored it while we met with her! I have a "Blue" Core Personality according to this test, which was very accurate! But, I love those two. They are so fun! Saw some more less-actives. And then did some Weekly Planning! 

Saturday we had no appointments, and so we ended up tracting for 3 1/2 hours. It was a lot of fun actually! You meet the most interesting people sometimes. Not a ton of people were happy to see us, especially the Jehovah Witnesses that we tracted parallel to for about 45 minutes. That was fun. Dinner fell through that night, and we just kept trying by people, to no avail! 

Sunday was a good day. We had 9 people on our progress record! Which is AWESOME. Sacrament was all about eternal marriage, and learned about the Plan of Salvation in Priest's Quorum! Had dinner with the Wilson's, which was HILARIOUS. Great family. Loved being with them! 

And yeah. Goooooood week! Working hard, and putting that shoulder to the wheel! 

Here's a thought for this week:

I was reading a lot about charity yesterday. And I was reading a talk by Gene R. Cook, and he explains three ways that we can “clothe [ourselves] with the bond of charity … of perfectness and peace."

1) Recognize His love:  "It is part of the gift of charity to be able to recognize the Lord’s hand and feel His love in all that surrounds us."

2) Receive His love in humility: "Receive it. Feel it. It is not enough just to know that God loves you. The gift is to be felt continually day by day. It will then be a divine motivator throughout your life."

3) Convey His love: "As a man first immerses his thoughts in love and conveys those feelings to God, man, or self, a magnified portion of that attribute will surely follow from the Spirit."

I love it. I particularly loved being taught by the Spirit that Charity isn't just merely outward manifestations of our love for others, but charity involves the personal revelations of God's love for us!

Well, I love you all! Hope you have an amazing week! 

Love,

Elder Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment