June 19th, 2017 - San Luis Obispo 1st Ward

#TheFinalCountdown

Holy cow.

I can't even.

You go throughout your whole mission thinking about what it will feel like when you hit your last week.

Well, let me tell you. It doesn't feel any different. All I feel is this excited-nervousness about going home. And you seriously can't stop thinking about home. But, you push forward.

Glad to hear everything has been going well at home! Dad, I think I would love to be released earlier, if it helps President Davis out. That should be fine with me! I'll be up at 6:30 anyways :) Also, glad to hear you found a house! I haven't even seen the new house.... And we'll be moving shortly after I get there!

I don't even know how to explain this week. I feel like NOTHING fun is happening, yet I am having the TIME OF MY LIFE. Seriously, we're just going from appointment to appointment, and yet we're making the most of it. I love it. It's the little things we do as we serve the Lord that makes life enjoyable.

Well. Here's the week!

Monday. We went and played some pool and ping-pong with Elder Shaw and Elder Kelly, because the Sisters in our District don't like us. They always bail on us. We had dinner with the Slades, and then had a lesson at their house with Parker and Haylee. We taught about the Ten Commandments, Obey and Honor the Law, The Law of Chastity, and the Word of Wisdom. Yeah, it was a lot to cover. But, it went well. Only concern that came up was about the Word of Wisdom. Which, is one I usually get. So we're gonna talk a little bit more about it tonight. 

Tuesday. I was on exchanges with Elder Shaw. Things went well. I feel like we didn't do a whole lot. We did service in the morning at the farm, moving around a TON of hay. Elder Shaw rested his back a little, and then we went and gave a blessing to one of the Sisters. Had dinner with the Ruiz family, and then we went and tried by some people too. We were at a door, and no one was answering, and I saw a guy walk past. I yelled "Hey! Want a Book?" and started running to catch him. I don't know what got into me. I just felt like I needed to talk to the guy. Well, I almost fell after running on a curb, and then the guy just said "I'm Buddhist." AND WALKED AWAY. All that work for nothing. Haha!

Wednesday. We did service for the DeGroots. It went well, and then ate a HUGE sandwich. I did some MyPlan, and got everything finalized for my exit interview. We had a lesson with Terry, and shared the Spiritual Whirlwinds Mormon Message. And then we had dinner with the Cervantes family, which turned out to be a birthday party for Sister Cervantes' dad. It was all over the place. But went well!

Thursday. We did Stake Reports in the morning, and then had appointments all day. Met with Colleen, and taught a really bold Restoration lesson. She loved it, and understood that you need authority to be able to baptize. Had dinner with Sister Lyon, and then had a sweet lesson with the Francis' where we watched the Reflections Mormon Message. We had a lot of appointments cancel that day, but were able to get Stake Reports done!

Friday. My last District Meeting! I was able to give a talk on what it means to be a successful missionary. We helped out the Garza's with some moving, and then had a lesson with Brandon about Staying Spiritually Fit. Had a lesson with Barbara, about the Word of Wisdom, and then had dinner with the Pearsons, and then met with Richard and talked about who knows what. I can't remember. Those lessons go all over the place.

Saturday. I had my exit interview in the morning, and then we had to do studies. We were going to an 8-year-old baptism in the ward, and were asked to fill the font too, so we did that while we studied. The baptism was fantastic. There was a very strong Spirit in the room. Had dinner over at the Wiens house, and then had a lesson with Gayne, and we read in the Book of Mormon with her!

Sunday. Everyone thought it was my last Sunday. I STILL HAVE ONE MORE PEOPLE. It was a good day at church, and we taught Gospel Principles. Did some studies and Weekly Planning, and had an awesome dinner with the Ruiz family again!

Yeah. Just a lot of go go go which is awesome. We have a busy week this week. Lots of service and also a Zone Conference on Thursday in Santa Barbara! Should be a good week.

Well, I have been doing a lot of reflecting the past few weeks. I read this quote this morning from President Uchtdorf:

"However, the older we get, the more we tend to look back and marvel at how short that road really is. We wonder how the years could have passed so quickly. And we begin to think about the choices we made and the things we have done. In the process, we remember many sweet moments that give warmth to our souls and joy to our hearts. But we also remember the regrets—the things we wish we could go back and change."

It is only natural to have regrets. We can always do better. But, we cannot do it alone. Christ is our exemplar, He is our strength. We must not say more about Him, and say more about the Gospel, but we need to LIVE the Gospel.

"Declaring our testimony of the gospel is good, but being a living example of the restored gospel is better. Wishing to be more faithful to our covenants is good; actually being faithful to sacred covenants—including living a virtuous life, paying our tithes and offerings, keeping the Word of Wisdom, and serving those in need—is much better. Announcing that we will dedicate more time for family prayer, scripture study, and wholesome family activities is good; but actually doing all these things steadily will bring heavenly blessings to our lives."

My mission has been useless if all I do is come home and draw near to my Father with my lips. IT'S YOUR HEART. IT'S WHAT YOU DO. No one who merely says "Lord, Lord" will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. Live what you know. Internalize the doctrines that you are taught in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. THAT is what matters.

I love you all! Enjoy the selfie of me, Elder Gemar, Elder Kelly, and Elder Shaw.

Also enjoy some MTC pictures that I randomly found on the computer.

Love,

Elder Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment