May 22, 2017 - San Luis Obispo 1st Ward

#BringOnSLO #TrunkyTransferred

Well. Didn't expect this.

But, that's just life right? Full of unexpected changes.

Yes. I have been transferred for my last 5 weeks. CRAZY.


I will be going to the San Luis Obispo 1st Ward with Elder Gemar. Him and I will be Zone Leaders in the largest Zone in the Mission. I am very excited. It's bitter-sweet. Elder Gemar is great, and I am very excited to be with him. But, I love this area. Honestly, this is home. But, I will go where the Lord needs me! 

Best part? I'll be driving a truck!!! :) So, that should be fun.

I am super sad to be leaving Elder McLawhorn too. But, that's life! He has been a fantastic companion, and definitely one of my favorite. 

Lets go through our week!

Monday. We had Zone Activity. We played some kickball! It was great. Had dinner that night with the Gonzales family, and then we went and met with one of our investigators! We taught her about the Restoration a little bit. It went well! She is very prepared, it's only a matter of time for her to get to baptism. Some stars need to align first. 

Tuesday. We had a lesson with Margarita in the morning. Ended up talking about the Restoration some more and helping her understand the Priesthood authority. We feel like she has gotten a spiritual witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the Church, but she is so deeply rooted in the Catholic church that she is having a hard time being able to consciously make the decision to be baptized. We had a little bit of a meeting with the District Leaders in our Zone about MLC the week prior, and then I did some MyPlan. Saw Alex and Mireya that night, and we taught the Restoration for Mireya. It went really well! I love using my Rubik's cube for those kinds of lessons. It helps kids understand the Restoration very simply!


Wednesday. We went to go do service with Jake Hurst in the morning, moving a bunch of cut down tree branches. It took longer than we thought it would, but we helped them out a ton! Elder McLawhorn started to get a migraine towards the end.... And so that kinda sat us down for a little bit, in order for him to sleep it off. We went and met with Matti, our WML in AG1, and then got some Subway for dinner. 

Thursday. We did Weekly Planning in the morning, and that went well. Had some appointments set up in the afternoon that didn't work out, but we were able to go with the Neufeld's in the evening and have some pizza and ice cream! Love that family. Their kid, Matt, got his mission call this week and he's going to the Idaho Falls mission! 

Friday. We had our last District Meeting of the transfer, and Elder McLawhorn and I sang a song. It was great! All about Jesus Christ, and we had a little testimony meeting at the end. We went as a district after and helped out one of the investigators in Pismo Beach Ward. The entire ward got together and basically flipped her house. It was a ton of fun! I got to steam clean the floors. Had some dinner that night, and then went to Bishop Merrill's and met with him a little bit. 

Saturday. In the morning we had an activity at the church building. Helped out the homeless coalition, and had some waffles too! It was great. Got our transfer calls, and then went and had a few lessons. Taught Alex and Mireya about the Godhead, and then had a lesson with Brother Osumi about the Holy Ghost. Then, called the Zone with their transfers!

Sunday. It was a missionary homecoming. Want to know the most trunky feeling in the world? It's seeing two missionaries come home and give their talks FIVE WEEKS BEFORE YOU GO HOME. It was a good meeting though. Sad to say goodbyes with people, but we went around to home after home after home. I will send pictures.

And that's the week! I really have loved being in this area. I have been able to look back at the beginning of my mission and see the miracle of growth that has occurred with me as I have labored in the vineyard. The Lord truly is mindful of us, and He knows what we need. I read some talks this week, and here is a favorite quote from President Monson in his talk "Finishers Wanted.":

"From the very beginning to the present time, a fundamental question remains to be answered by each who runs the race of life. Shall I falter or shall I finish? On the answer await the blessings of joy and happiness here in mortality and eternal life in the world to come."

Five Weeks Left. Shall I falter, or shall I finish? Whenever we are going through experiences like this, it is very easy to falter. President Monson uses the example of David. He faltered. Let us have the vision, the effort, the faith, the virtue, the courage, and the prayers to be true finishers. President Monson regards these attributes as "...the marks of a true finisher, will be as a lamp to our feet in the journey through life. Ever beckoning us onward and lifting us upward is he who pleaded, '… come, follow me.' "

Thank you all for your love and prayers! Have an amazing week! 

Love,

Elder Harvey

The Merrills
The Dalebouts
The Simkins






No comments:

Post a Comment