August 2nd, 2015 - Pismo Beach & Arroyo Grande 1st Wards

I love reading how he is falling in love with the people in California and enjoying this experience!

Regarding the toilet paper story - years ago when Bryan and I were first married we had some missionaries over for supper.  Before leaving we usually ask them if they needed anything - to our surprise they replied yes! toilet paper! :)  We gave them some and they were happily on their way.  It was a strange request - but a funny story!  

It must be hard trying to focus on serving when your family is getting ready to leave and move across the country without you.  I hope we all survive this experience! :P

Here's what he has to say this week:

All,

Officially one month out on my mission! We had our most productive week this week, with a few miracles and just an awesome experience. I'm loving it out here, and Elder Beus and I are really growing close to both of the wards we are assigned to. Yesterday, we had a break of fast at the Buntings home up in Arroyo Grande. That was a blast. I love the wards we serve in and the people we get to serve. We had two meetings for both wards again yesterday, Pismo's PEC and AG1st's Ward Council. For the Ward Council for AG1st Ward, President Ridgeway (Second Counsellor in the Mission Presidency) came and spoke to the Ward Council about making missionary work the central focus for their meetings together. He used to be the Stake President in the Santa Maria Stake, and he spoke so boldly and lovingly, it blew my mind away. He shared a scripture in Ezekiel 34, and about how it talks about us, as the shepherds of Israel, not seeking to sustain and feed ourselves, but to look out for the rest of the flock. DO MISSIONARY WORK. Please. Being out here, I've noticed the HUGE impact of members of the ward working with the full-time missionaries that serve in their wards. Please help them out. We are in your wards to teach and bring others closer to Christ. Please help your missionaries find the people they need to teach! 

We had a huge miracle with this this past week. We received a referral from a family, one of their friends who they thought would be interested. And we contacted her and set up a lesson for this past Tuesday. We got to Heidi's house, and she had a friend there who was interested in hearing what we had to say, so we ended up teaching them both on Tuesday and Friday! They seem receptive to the Restoration and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, so we"ll see how it goes. And you know that investigator Mark i wrote about last week? He lives right across the street from Heidi, and we found him after our initial contact with her, and he now has a ton of questions that he wants answered about the Book of Mormon. This all happened because of one referral. So even if you don't think that they would be receptive, if the Elders or Sisters ask for a name, and a name pops in your head, SAY IT. If not, you are denying them the chance to hear this glorious message that Christ has restored His true church through the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Sounds like home is great, as always. I hope everyone knows how much I love them up there. This whole being Canadian in America thing works for me by the way. HUGE conversation starter. Apparently I'm pretty funny too. So that's a good thing I guess.

Oh. Funny thing I never told you: We got to our apartment our first day and discovered one roll of toilet paper in the entire apartment. And we forgot to buy some at the store. So, just like those missionaries who asked Mom and Dad for toilet paper, who we reference probably EVERYTIME, we asked a couple for some toilet paper. I laughed at myself as I asked them. Too funny. 

Also, tell Leah to watch out for an Elder Breinholt! He was in my zone at the MTC and he is in Halifax right now! Super cool guy. So exciting! She is also going to be in the MTC with an Elder McNeil. He reports August 19th. Look out for him! 

Sweet. Well, everything is good. Thanks for the package! Our district loved the Ketchup chips. 

Loving our huge area. We are as busy as we possibly can be, and we absolutely LOVE it. Working hard, and serving the Lord. Nothing else could beat this. Not even Jacksonville winning the Super Bowl (because that probably won't ever happen, although I can definitely hope). 

I think that's it for now. I might be buying some shoes today.. I don't know yet. Just some casual service shoes that I can get all beat up and junk. we'll see. 

Thanks so much for everything. I feel your prayers working through me and I can feel the love from all of you. Email me everyone! I would love that. Haven't gotten very many emails from any friends or other family. 

Love you all. Stay strong. And family, this month will be hard. One thing I've learned being out here is that there are no coincidences. You have all been called to Kingston now. You need to be there. You need to grow there, and help them grow. Remember Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-10;122:7-9.

Love you all,

Elder Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment